College Success and Choosing a Major
Every year millions of high school students graduate and go on to college ill prepared to succeed in an educational environment that is distinctly different than the high school environment they are accustom to. The statistics support this unfortunate and costly reality.
- Approximately 50% of all college students fail to earn a college degree, cutting their earning potential in half and leaving them to pay back loans for an incomplete college degree. In the State University of New York only 19% of students earn a college degree, with approximately 5 students of every 100 graduating in 4 years.
- Approximately 75% of all college students take 5 or 6 years to graduate (60% taking 6 years), costing public college students approximately $45,000 to $100,000 and private college students approximately $80,000 to over $150,000 in real and opportunity costs
- A 2006 study from the American Institutes for Research states that "It is disturbing that 50% of students at four-year colleges and 75% of students at two-year colleges are graduating with a degree and they cannot perform many 'complex but common literacy tasks' like reading a food label, understanding arguments in newspaper editorials, comparing credit card offers, or interpreting tables and graphs".
CECA's College Readiness Packages are designed to help the future college student select a major based on scientifically validated assessments, increasing the likelihood of graduating in four years, earning higher grades, and helping them to develop critical skills necessary for success in the job market or graduate/professional school. Moreover, the Packages will teach students how to take control of their education, separate themselves from their competition, and increase their chances of landing a terrific job that they can succeed in. There are two levels of CECA College Readiness Packages.
College Readiness Package ($250):
This package is designed to work directly with future college students and provide them with an opportunity that most college students do not have through traditional high school offerings. The package consists of:
- First Session: Dr. Harvey will talk with the student and provide the assessments and directions on how to complete them. In addition, students will be educated on the process and what they can expect from their College Readiness Package experience.
- Second Session:
During the second session, Dr. Harvey will meet with the student, interpret the assessments
and provide each client with two different summary reports and a
narrative, allowing the client to better understand their results.
College Readiness Advance Package ($450):
In addition to including the first two sessions of the College Readiness Package, this Advanced Package provides a third session with parents and their students to discuss a parent's role in the collegiate success of their child. The Third Session is designed to educate parents on how high school and college differ, what a college student needs to do to be successful, and the role parents play in fostering the success of their college student. In addition, it is an opportunity for a parent to ask Dr. Harvey, a current college faculty member, published researcher, former college career counselor, and Executive Director of a consortium of colleges, questions about college success, transitioning from high school to college and college to career, and other topics they would like to explore. The Third Session lasts 1 and 1/2 hours.
Untapped Capacity: How Every Student Can Achieve Extraordinary Things! ($40):
- Untapped Capacity explains in terms we can all understand exactly why America is in the situation that it is in and it's not a good situation, why it's a serious problem for American students, and how you as a student can change the course of your future by following the common sense strategies presented to you in this book. In an easy to understand format, Untapped Capacity explains how every student can achieve extraordinary things!
- Part I explores self-assessment and will help you with selecting the major that best matches your needs, abilities, values, desired work environment, and interests. You will find quotes from nationally renowned faculty that offer advice on succeeding in college and in specific majors. Lastly, you will learn what employers are looking for in a college graduate. This information will help you to customize your education and achieve your personal and professional goals.
- Part II examines what you can do to ensure that you succeed in college. This section offers advice for all four years of college and for all different majors.
- Part III prepares you for life after college by demonstrating how to prepare a resume and cover letter, interview for a job or internship, network, and conduct an effective job search.
With a straightforward approach, Untapped Capacity combines 2 books into one and will assist you, the future college student, with successfully completing your college degree and landing your first job. They will teach you how the decisions you make in college will affect the opportunities you will have and your future career.
BOOK 1: Untapped Capacity: How Every Student Can Achieve Extraordinary Things!
BOOK 2: College to Career: How 4 Years of College Determines 40 Years of Career
Click ORDER to get your own copy!